Things We Saw Today: Longtime Kermit Puppeteer and Jim Henson Successor, Steve Whitmire, Mysteriously Fired
This week, it was announced that Steve Whitmire, successor to Jim Henson in acting as puppeteer for Kermit the Frog, will no longer be performing the role, and will be replaced by Matt Vogel. While initial reports were that Whitmire was “retiring,” he revealed in a personal blog post that he was not leaving the role by choice, saying, “I want all of you who love the Muppets to know that I would never consider abandoning Kermit or any of the others because to do so would be to forsake the assignment entrusted to me by Jim Henson, my friend and mentor, but even more, my hero.” Apparently, Muppets Studio executives didn’t allow him the opportunity to correct whatever problems they had with him after almost thirty years. The reasons for his firing are still unclear. (via Time)
- Apparently, American Airlines cares more about the feelings and comfort of airplane masturbators than they do about the unfortunate women who sit, or rather, sleep next to them. (via The Daily Dot)
- If Venus Williams wins tomorrow’s Wimbledon final, she’ll prove all the ageist naysayers wrong. (via The New York Times)
- Check out this awesome, custom Who Framed Roger Rabbit? LEGO set! (via /Film)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming totally opened the door for the possibility of a live-action Miles Morales! (via CBR.com)
- These brilliant teen girls are the first girls in twenty-five years to make the UK squad for the International Mathematical Olympiad, the largest, oldest and most prestigious of international math contests.
- RIP John Bernecker, a stuntman on The Walking Dead who died after injuries sustained when he fell from a 30 foot high balcony onto a concrete floor two days ago in the line of duty. (via Pajiba)
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]