It’s been a rough week, and we’re still not fully recovered yet here at The Mary Sue. We’re still devastated, and we have good reason to be. In any case, Samantha Bee’s acerbic wit continues to be an incisive and much-needed viewing experience. In this video, Bee explains that her own diverse writing staff is having trouble coping with the election results, to the point where it’s difficult for them to figure out how to write jokes. So much for those “the jokes write themselves” comments about a Trump presidency! So, uh, maybe stop saying that. It’s hard to keep going, but we’re all trying. Shout-out to Samantha Bee’s writers, and Bee herself, for keeping on.
The rest of today’s round-up is more election-related stuff, because… well… that’s where our heads are at today. Yes, still. Here we go:
- The Twitter hashtag #TransLawHelp, created by Twitter user @dtwps, has become a resource for trans people in America who need legal counsel. The Fader has a round-up of examples. The Mary Sue’s own Jessica Lachenal also wrote a guide yesterday: “What to Do If You’re Trans and Live in America Now.”
- Twitter user @griph pointed out an interesting pattern in voter statistics. Unfortunately, all of these truck drivers aren’t going to be happy in the future:
the self-driving truck is all but in mass production at the moment and I just remembered this map pic.twitter.com/3oCkiyHNdn
— Findom De Siècle (@griph) November 10, 2016
- Meanwhile, tech industry leaders seem shocked, dismayed and flummoxed about Trump’s rise to power. All we can say is, what were all of you doing to prevent this???? NOTHING. What in the hecking… ffff. Thanks for nothing, Silicon Valley.
- Post-election results, hate crimes have increased across the country. This might well have happened even if Trump had lost. It isn’t surprising that bigots now feel empowered to act upon their bigotry in violent ways, but it’s nonetheless terrifying. Now might be a good time to revisit this guide on bystander intervention.
- Suicide hotlines have been overwhelmed with calls. Trans Lifeline received a record-breaking number of calls in the 24 hours following the election results. If you have the capacity to donate (either your money or your time) to these organizations, please do. They need your help, and we need them to continue to exist.
That’s what we’ve got today. How about you?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com