Things We Saw Today: Every Season of The Muppet Show Is Heading to Disney+!
It's time to play the music!
It’s time to play the music! It’s time to light the lights! Things are finally turning around in our dark and terrible world because all five seasons of The Muppet Show will be available to stream on Disney+ on February 19th! The addition of some of the best hours of the Muppet oeuvre to the D+ lineup is particularly exciting, especially considering that the fourth and fifth seasons of the show have never been available to purchase or stream.
— The Muppets (@TheMuppets) January 19, 2021
Does this make Disney+ the top destination for Muppet content? Well, it’s certainly a boost, but things still complicated. Disney, and thus Disney,+ owns The Muppet Show, Muppets Most Wanted, The Muppet Movie, Muppet Treasure Island, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Muppets, and The Great Muppet Caper. That’s a lot of Muppet stuff, but not all of it. They’re missing the rights to the Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space, which are owned by Sony.
And that’s not all they’re missing. They haven’t got any of the Muppet-adjacent Henson Company products as well: Everything Fraggle Rock is owned by Apple, Sesame Street is HBO, and of course The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is over on Netflix. It’s actually quite interesting that the Muppets are so spread out, but that also speaks to the long history of the Henson company working just about anywhere.
Still, it’s extremely exciting to have The Muppet Show available to stream. I have so many fond memories of reruns of it when I was a kid and the vintage weirdness is something that feels very comforting right now. I just hope that Disney+ finds a way to get Statler and Waldorf commentary on all the episodes in a picture-in-picture corner display. In fact, I’d pay extra to have that for ALL shows.
(via: The Verge, image: The Henson Company/Disney)
Here are a few other things we saw today:
- Armie Hammer has apologized. Not for that creepy stuff though. (via Pajiba)
- Netflix’s Lupin is topping Briderton and The Queen’s Gambit in viewership. (via Deadline)
- Why are The New Radicals playing the Inauguration? Because “You Get What You Give” was Beau Biden’s cancer fight song. Commence crying. (via Rolling Stone)
- Happy Birthday to Dolly Parton, Capricorn legend!
fuck around find out pic.twitter.com/jthMsg5zIP
— the chronically ch(ill) magpie (@punkvenus) January 17, 2021
- What was it like writing late-night jokes in the era of Trump? (via Vulture)
- Alex Padilla just became the first Latino senator to represent California. (via Huff Post)
- The second special Euphoria episode has a premiere date. (via Decider)
- And in case you needed more cute content from Disney+ besides Muppets, soon you’ll have Pixar popcorn.
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) January 19, 2021
One day more! When we tell you what we saw tomorrow, Joe Biden will be President!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]