Our Most Favorite Moments in the New Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer
Plus some wild speculation!
If it wasn’t already obvious, you need to know: I really, really like Star Wars.
So when The Last Jedi‘s trailer premiered this morning at Star Wars Celebration Orlando, you had better believe I was a hot crying mess by the end of it. Come and be a hot crying mess with me.
There were so many moments to enjoy over its two-minute length, and here are just a few of mine.
- That opening!
- It looks like Rey’s gasping for air coming out of what might be a cave. Remember in Empire Strikes Back that Luke had his own “cave” moment where he faced off (get it) against a vision of Darth Vader (borrowing heavily from mythology and the descent and all).
- The music!
- It never struck me how well Rey’s theme and “Binary Sunset” mix together so well. 24violins kind of hit on it with their remix video, but the meshing comes out in full force here in this trailer, and it’s g o r g e o u s.
- Cutting from Precious Space Bubble Boy Finn to Poe running with BB-8 WAS NO ACCIDENT, PEOPLE.
- Speaking of and precious boys, here’s a brilliant bit of lovely amazingness from our own Dan Van Winkle: THIS VIDEO IS EVERYTHING AND I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
- This beautiful shot of what looks to be like Rey’s hand as she’s meditating (also please notice the lightsaber clipped to her belt in the background <3):
- Luke doesn’t really mess around with the cryptic language when he’s training other people as a Jedi Master, it seems. “Breathe… what do you see?” No Yoda-talk here (which is fine, I guess), and that makes me wonder: did Luke not like the way Yoda spoke, and resolved to not do that himself? Who knows.
- I break into tears every time I see any reference to Carrie “Beloved Space Mom and General” Fisher.
- Kylo Ren still gets mad but smashes his grandpappy’s helmet (not cool dude, that was a collector’s item).
- PROTECT SPACE BUBBLE BOY FINN AT ALL COSTS
- I remain hesitant to say that’s Rey’s hand going over the cover of that copy of The Jedi Code. It’s gloved, and more than that, it’s an orange glove, kind of matching the gloves belonging to the Resistance/Rebellion.
- I can’t believe they go full Karate Kid in this shot.
- Luke watching the destruction of what looks like a Jedi Temple broke my damn heart. R2’s there with him, and it’s a great callback to Rey’s introduction to the Force in The Force Awakens.
- Kylo Ren’s really rocking that lightsaber scar pretty well. Good for him.
The trailer just raises more questions with regards to plot, too. The prevailing theory is that Luke really wants to end the Jedi Order, and more than likely Rey will be leading up a new group of more balanced, “moderate” (I hate that word because of its modern-day connotations) Jedi group, either turning Kylo and the Knights of Ren or eliminating them Kill Bill-style. Okay, maybe not that last part, but whatever.
Anyway, this trailer is incredible. December feels so far away. I can’t wait any longer, truly.
(all images: screengrab)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com