Things We Saw Today: The Russo Brothers Troll Marvel Fans for Christmas
Joe and Anthony Russo are ringing in the holiday season by trolling their ardent fans.
As Comicbook.com points out, the Russo Brothers, who refuse to fight me despite my frequently issued challenges, are in a festive mood indeed. The directing duo recently updated their Twitter profile picture with a meme that emerged from Ryan Reynold’s feed a week ago.
In Reynold’s photos, the Deadpool actor appeared to be trolled himself by Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, who told Reynolds to come dressed for an “ugly sweater” holiday party, but when he arrived, he was the only one sporting a themed sweater.
View this post on Instagram
Now the Russos have taken a photo from Reynold’s series with a trollish spin and uploaded it as their Twitter avatar.
With each brother named via Jackman and Gyllenhaal’s triumphant handshake, “Fans” is superimposed over the distraught Reynolds. (It’s unclear if the Russos made this themselves or borrowed a fan edit, but I’m thinking the latter.)
Either way, the Russos seem well aware of the agony we’re in over the events of Infinity War, the interminable wait for Avengers: Endgame, and our dread at who we might be losing forever in that movie. Enough so that they can laugh about it.
This light-hearted troll of Marvel fans is a considerable tone-shift from what the brothers earnestly tweeted when the Endgame trailer came out earlier in December:
For those who have been here since the beginning. For those who have joined along the way. For the best fans in the Universe. This trailer is for you… With much love and gratitude for your patience, The RB’s
I have to give the Russos credit here for self-awareness with their festive trolling, though one day they will still have to fight me.
(via Comicbook.com, image: Twitter)
- Speaking of ugly sweaters, gaze upon the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in their tackiest holiday best. (via CBR)
- Let’s take a deep dive into The Polar Express and what it means to believe. (via Tor.com)
- Everyone I know is watching Killing Eve right now, so here’s a look at some of the images from season 2. (via Nerdist)
- Jason Momoa had a creepy run-in with a fan at a con that needed police intervention. We don’t know the specifics, but maybe don’t do this, people? Stars coming to cons is a gift. Be cool. (via Comicbook.com)
- How Gritty evolved from a hockey mascot to a meme king and champion of the left, because I love Gritty. (via Vox)
- A street artist in Glasgow created a touching memorial to Stan Lee, with the legendary creator flanked by his superheroes. (via Laughing Squid)
- The Russos are sort of forgiven because they also just tweeted this fan’s amazing Marvel Christmas tree:
— Taylor (@TaylorPettitt) December 23, 2018
Happy holidays, if you’re celebrating! What did you sleigh today?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]