All-New All-Different Pull Wisely: Assassin’s Creed #1
Is there enough Charlotte de la Vega?
Welcome to the new Pull Wisely, TMS’ video comic review series! Join the illustrious Jessica Lachenal and me as we go in-depth into a new comic. We’ll be offering reviews, critiques, and all sorts of thinks and feels about a brand new issue every single week… when we’re not making silly jokes and puns about it. You know how things go around here at The Mary Sue.
This week’s issue: Assassin’s Creed #1 from Titan Comics. We touch on the first issue of this comic adaptation of the hit video game franchise and how we feel about its female protagonist, Charlotte de la Cruz.
And we start the video with our Top 5 Comics Recommendations for this week! Because we care. In addition to Assassin’s Creed #1, check out:
- Lumberjanes, Vol 2 (BOOM!) – we love this series about hardcore lady-types, and you should, too. Written by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, and Shannon Watters. Art by Brooke Allen.
- Bitch Planet, Vol 1 (Image) – despite an irregular schedule, it’s a comic you NEED to be reading, and now it’s collected for you. Written by Kelly Sue DeConnick. Art by Valentine de Landro.
- Codename: Babushka (Image) – Bond girl as hero and protagonist! Written by Antony Johnston. Art by Shari Chankhamma.
- Toil and Trouble #2 (Archaia) – we love this creative take on Macbeth! Written by Mairghread Scott. Art by Kelly and Nichole Matthews.
- We Stand on Guard #4 (Image) – BLAME CANADA…for awesomeness. Great female protagonist in an amazing political story. Written by Brian K. Vaughan. Art by Steve Skroce.
And by the way, in addition to probably butchering his last name in this video, I also managed to get Steve Skroce‘s first name wrong. I don’t know why I said Scott. It’s Steve, dammit. STEVE. *sigh* If the Steve Skroce fans want to come out of the woodwork and burn me in effigy, I totally get it. But seriously, dude, sorry Mr. Skroce – your art is actually one of the things I love most about We Stand on Guard (screw that BKV guy – fer real). No one can draw a face being burned in oily flames quite like you.
Also, it looks like Image “won” this week, huh? Lots of great stuff coming out of there, though BOOM! Studios/Archaia made up 2 out of our Top 5 choices, and that ain’t too shabby. Meaning that we’re more interested in publishers other than the Big Two this week. Not that it’s a competition, comics publishers…except that it’s totally a competition. (PS – that means that comics readers always win!)
As always, let us know what you think! If you have anything you’d like to share about the comic, or if you’ve got a comic you’d like to recommend, please hit us up on Facebook, in the comments below, or tweet at us with #PullWisely.
We’ll see you next week with a brand new issue and even more comics picks!
—Please make note of The Mary Sue’s general comment policy.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org