Things We Saw Today: Joaquin Phoenix in Talks to Play the Joker in Standalone Film
After the dismal performance that Jared Leto gave us in Suicide Squad, I was glad to be taking a break from the Joker, but like most things Batman adjacent, people intend to milk it dry. Despite the news that Jared Leto will be staying on at the Joker in the DCEU, it seems like there is a standalone Joker movie in the works with director Todd Phillips attached to the project. According to IndieWire, “The standalone Joker film is expected to be a prequel of sorts that finds the character rising through the criminal underworld to become a mob king.”
In talks to play the Clown King of Crime is Joaquin Phoenix and I have to admit I felt a very strong twinge of excitement about that news. I have always had a strange, complex love for Phoenix, I saw Gladiator way too young, and I think he is a compelling actor and with a good script, he could most certainly bring something interesting to the role. That being said, I do wish that the people behind the DCEU would make more interesting movie choices. If we are gonna keep milking this Batman teat can we expand the Rogues Gallery? We have Jessica Chastain and Christina Hendricks now, so can we do Poison Ivy again? Please…please.
- Haters are always gonna hate, and it seems like those who are determined to hate Black Panther will come up with whatever reasons they want, like Ed Power saying the movie is “dull” and has “no action.” Okay bro, live in your lies. (via Essence)
- In order to answer the burning question of what the fish penis from The Shape of Water would look like, someone made a dildo based on what they believe it would look like. Spoiler alert: around six inches. As a great song once said “live your dreams, it’s not as hard as it may seem.” (via Buzzfeed)
- Some amazing human did a Pokémon cross-stitch and it looks freaking amazing! (via BoingBoing)
- For all the podcast political junkies out there “Pod Save America” is coming to HBO, and all I can say is I can’t wait to see John Lovett troll people (especially Tommy) in video form. (via Vulture)
- Period Piece nerds unite! Timothée Chalamet will be playing young Henry V in an upcoming movie called The King. (via Deadline)
What have you seen out there in the wild internet today?
(image: Universal Pictures)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—