Our interns spend most of their time writing, and most definitely receive bylines for all of their stories. We like to recruit through our internships, so if ascent to a higher plane is your goal, this isn’t a bad way to get started.
The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction (You know, the stuff we cover every day!), then this is the internship for you.
The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you yourself think up/discover on the interwebs.
In addition, there are several qualifications which are preferred but by no means necessary:
- Knowledge of blogging software
- Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in the technology and geek-culture world
- Experience with photo-editing software
Please attach THREE documents to your application email; applications not containing all of these documents will NOT be considered:
- A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of Fortran or an official Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking)
- Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
- A brief (1-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for a geek culture blog. Please also list in your cover letter your earliest memory of using a personal computer; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting!
When you’ve got these together, send ’em to [email protected]
The process is rolling, so get yours in ASAP!
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]