Things We Saw Today: So We’re Getting a “Lebowski Thor” Marvel Legends Action Figure
I stand by my argument that the way Thor was treated in Avengers: Endgame was problematic. The issue wasn’t the idea that Thor, retreating after the loss of his family, friends, and home, would have gained weight in a depressive state. This had the potential for an important, deeply felt exploration of character. No, the problem was that he’s mocked for it and made the butt of jokes about his weight far too many times in Endgame; one fat joke could have been an insensitive mistake, but a host of them made for an awful pattern.
Another issue at the time was that Thor’s physique was treated as a sort of “spoiler”; all of the Endgame toys featuring him that came out before the movie show a svelte Thor in the white time-travel suit. The reveal of Chris Hemsworth in his fatsuit was played up for maximum surprise (and laughs in every screening I attended)—and then we didn’t even have the opportunity to purchase a version of the character as he appears in 90% of the movie.
That’s why my first reaction is cautiously positive to the news out of SDCC that the Hasbro Marvel Legends Build-A-Figure series will be offering an accurate figure of Thor in Endgame.
— justJENN (@justjenn) July 18, 2019
What do you think? I tend to love the Build-A-Figure Legends figures, which are remarkably true-to-life without being super-expensive (they’re usually less than $20). I’m glad that Endgame Thor will be available at a fair price point to anyone who wants to give him a happy home.
Marvel Legends End Game Wave 3 with Lebowski Thor Build-A-Figure!! All MCU wave so I’m happy! Iron Man, Valkyrie, Heimdall & Iron Patriot War Machine! 💥🙌🏻 What do you think?? #MarvelLegends #marvel #sdcc #sdcc19 #hasbropulse #marvel80thanniversary #marvel80 #avengersendgame pic.twitter.com/nuLdLBZKBa
— Dan Who? (@DanWhoReviews) July 18, 2019
(via Comicbook.com, image: Marvel Studios, Marvel Legends, Twitter)
- Shockingly, Trump was directly involved in the talks that led to Stormy Daniels’ payment, according to the FBI. I know, you’re totally astonished. (via The Guardian)
- Netflix has lost subscribers in the US for the first time in eight years. (via CNBC)
- The US says they’ve shot down an Iranian drone and oh my god it’s still only Thursday? (via BBC)
- The Top Gun 2 trailer is here and oh my god it’s still, still only Thursday? (via Vulture)
- Why Dr. Leana Wen lost support at Planned Parenthood. (via The New York Times)
- HBO’s His Dark Materials stars discuss what their daemons would be. (via EW)
The first trailer for the rebooted Jay and Silent Bob has arrived.
What’s you see today? Was it the Cats trailer? Are you okay?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com