Reward For Not Texting In A Theater? There’s An App For That.
by Jill Pantozzi | 4:15 pm, November 20th, 2012
At a recent trip to the theater I was greeted with two things; one was a message from the chain asking us not to use our cellphones during the show, another was a paid advertisement that talked about texting during a movie as if it were ok. Needless to say, while I assume most people are against cell phone usage of any kind during a film, there are those out there who think it’s ok. But a new app aims to reward customers for good behavior. Will it work?
Theater chain Cinemark has created CineMode, an app inside their regular movie app. Here’s how it works according to their press release:
- Download the Cinemark app. App is available for both the iPhone and Google Android phone.
- Start: Start CineMode when you are prompted. A message appears on the auditorium screen right before the movie begins. When CineMode is started the bright screen on the smart phone will dim automatically and customers will be asked to set the phone’s volume to vibrate.
- Stay: Stay in CineMode for the duration of the movie.
- Earn: When the movie ends and the guest exits CineMode, Cinemark will automatically send a reward (digital coupon) through the app and store it in the Rewards section.
- Customers can earn rewards every time they see a movie at Cinemark.
Um, best idea ever? If they had theaters near me I would totally take part and I’m one of those people who turn their phones completely off during a movie.
James Meredith, Cinemark’s Vice President of Marketing & Communications said, “It is important to develop tools that maximize and preserve the movie-going experience. For a while, our customers have asked us to design an alternative and creative solution that addresses texting and cell phone issues in our auditoriums. Now, through the Cinemark app, CineMode targets these courtesy issues through the very same devices that are causing the problems. Additionally, now our guests have the ability to earn rewards that can be used during their next visit to Cinemark.”
What do you think of the new idea? It doesn’t say exactly what the rewards are, most likely discounts or free items, but I think it’s really smart. Plus, those who absolutely need to keep their phones on for emergencies can still do so.
(via The Frisky)
- Theater Hires Ninjas To Silence Noisy Or Texting Patrons
- Theater Executives Seriously Discuss Allowing Cell Phone Use
- Texting Will Be Allowed In Washington State Concert Hall