A typical day at the office looks something like this:
And when you work from home probably more like:
Is that something that might interest you? If so, read on!
It’s true, we’re searching for a new Weekend Editor at The Mary Sue. What does such a position entail? Well, working Saturdays and Sundays, for one. Otherwise, we’re looking for a journalist/blogger (preferably a college graduate with a few years experience writing content online or off) with a wide knowledge of and passion for pop-culture, science, technology, weird internet memes, social issues, and more! You’ll be tasked with culling news from around the web and putting your personal spin on it, coming up with original content, and keeping up with our social media accounts. We’d prefer someone living locally near our offices in New York City but that is not absolutely necessary for the position.
Applications are open to ANYONE but applicants who are LGBTQ, people of color, people with disabilities, etc. are encouraged to apply. We’d love to get some more diversity on staff. But what exactly are some of the qualities we’re looking for?
- Someone who can consume a large amount of information in a short time.
- Someone who can multitask.
- A familiarity with WordPress.
- Photoshop or other photo editing software knowledge a plus.
- Someone who’s FUN!
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek.
- Someone who can take direction and follow through with assigned tasks.
What do we want in your application? These things exactly, no more, no less:
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS Weekend Editor 2014”
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an email attachment) or LinkedIn profile (pick one).
- Two links to samples of your writing. Preferably one “news” piece and one “opinion” piece.
- Link(s) to your personal website/blog and any public social media accounts.
Please email all of that information to Editor in Chief Jill Pantozzi at [email protected] We’re setting the application deadline for no later than
November 4, 2014 October 31, 2014 (start date for the position is ASAP) but we retain the right to call it early if we get an overwhelming amount of applicants, so submit early. Please only email us once, we’ll be in touch if we’re interested.
Please also include a link to your favorite GIF in your application email.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]