[UPDATED] Come One! Come All! To The Mary Sue’s Geek Girl Headquarters at New York Comic Con!
Calling all nerds
We’ve had a few people ask whether we’re going to have a booth at New York Comic Con this year, like we had a table at Special Edition. We had to hold in our gleeful snickers until it was time for this official announcement. A booth? A booth, you ask. We’re partnering with NYCC for something, but it’s a heckuva lot cooler than a mere booth.
[UPDATE: More creator appearances and after-hours meet-up info below!]
Introducing: Geek Girl Headquarters (ers… ers… ers…)
Head down to Room 1E02 in the Javits Center, and here’s some of what you’ll find:
- Special appearances by: Comics creators Cat Staggs and Amanda Deibert, Kelly Sue DeConnick, G. Willow Wilson, Bryan Q. Miller, and Kate Leth; Lindsay Ellis (aka Nostalgia Chick); and our own Associate Editor Sam Maggs, signing this awesome poster for her upcoming book The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy (schedule info below). We’ll also be updating with more names soon! [UPDATE] Our appearance schedule now includes Babs Tarr, Marguerite Bennett, Allison Strejlau, James Tynion IV, Ian McGinty, Marcus To, Jackson Lanzing, Collin Kelly, Shane-Michael Vidaurri, Jake Lawrence, and Michael Dialynas! Please see below for exact times. [UPDATE #2] We’ve just added Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Chris Eliopoulos!
- Two a cappella performances by Choirfly (featuring our own Susana Polo) on Saturday, 10/11 at 11am and 5pm.
- Speaking of TMS staff, Sam, Susana, Jill, Victoria, Rebecca, and Carolyn will be working the room (Not to mention working from the room! Gotta keep the machine running!) at various times, so come by and say hi!
- Phone charging stations
- Free wifi for guests
- Games, board games, card games, etc. for your enjoyment
- A craft station for friendship bracelet-making
- The Quirk Books Cozy Corner, where you can cozy up with your favorite Quirk Books titles while you’re waiting for your next panel. The library will also feature comics from BOOM! Studios.
- A cosplay contest, sponsored by Sock Dreams. Take a photo in our life-size photo frame and tweet @TheMarySue #GGHQ to enter. We’ll select winners and feature our favorites on the site. Oh, and what do the winners get? The grand prize is a sweet wooden treasure box filled with $150 worth of goodies; three runners-up will get Sock Dreams gift cards.
- The Mary Sue Coloring Contest—create your own version of The Mary Sue logo for a chance to win a Quirk Books prize package and a The Mary Sue/WeLoveFine t-shirt.
Did we mention a phone charging station and free wifi? Because we’re really proud of that. Working wifi at the Javits Center—regular NYCC attendees, you know how big that is.
Here are the hours of operation:
And the schedule of appearances:
Thursday, October 9th
1-2pm—Babs Tarr, Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, DC creators
2-3pm—Chris Eliopoulos, co-creator and artist of Cowboy
3:30-4:30 Marguerite Bennett, BOOM! Studios (Butterfly, Sleepy Hollow comics), Marvel, DC
Friday, October 10th
11am-12pm–Allison Strejlau, artist on Regular Show
12-1pm—James Tynion IV, creator/writer of The Woods, Memetic
1-2pm—Ian McGinty, Bravest Warriors artist
2-3pm—Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick)
3-4pm—Marcus To, Jackson Lanzing, and Collin Kelly, artist/writers for Hacktivist
4-5pm—Cat Staggs and Amanda Deibert, DC creators
Saturday, October 11th
12-1pm—Shane-Michael Vidaurri, Iron: Or, the War After, Jim Henson’s The Storyteller: Witches #1
1-2pm—Jake Lawrence, creator/writer/artist of Teen Dog
2-3pm—Kelly Sue DeConnick, Marvel/Image creator
3-4pm—Sam Maggs poster signing
4-5pm—G. Willow Wilson, Marvel/DC creator
6-7pm—Brian Q. Miller, DC Comics creator/DC Entertainment writer
Sunday, October 12th
11am-12pm—Michael Dialynas, artist of The Woods
2pm-3pm—Kate Leth, BOOM! Studios creator
We plan to add more, so keep checking back as the con approaches! And, of course, don’t forget about our trio of NYCC panels.
Many of you have asked if we’re also having a party this year (and we don’t blame you, because last year’s bash was pretty awesome). This year, because GGHQ is taking up a lot of effort and planning, we’re going to have an informal, after-hours meet-up. Here are the details:
138 West 29th Street (between 6th & 7th)
Drink Special: $4 Budweiser and Bud Lite Drafts ** with wristband **
Hope to see you there!
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org