Skip to main content

Newsom isn’t having it—fires back at reporter who says his Trump criticism damages the ‘sanctity of the office’

In the past couple of months, California Governor Gavin Newsom has emerged as one of the strongest critics of United States President Donald Trump. Last year, Newsom raised his voice against many of Trump’s shenanigans, which were leading America towards a state of impending doom, and he has continued to do the same this year, as Trump shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

Recommended Videos

Gavin Newsom is taking a dig at Donald Trump yet again, and the netizens are loving it. When recently asked by a reporter to comment on the criticism he was receiving from some people for condemning Donald Trump outside of the United States, which was going against the “sanctity of the office,” Newsom turned the tables on him by highlighting that Trump was more guilty of hampering the “sanctity of the office” than he was. Where’s the lie??

Gavin Newsom is not stopping trolling Gavin Newsom anytime soon

Gavin Newsom is bad-mouthing Donald Trump again. In the last couple of weeks, Newsom has been attending a significant number of international events. At these events, while his focus has remained on the topics under discussion, he has also occasionally taken the time to criticise Donald Trump, which appears to have caused immense hurt to him and his dedicated followers.

As previously mentioned, Gavin Newsom was recently asked by a reporter to speak about how many people in the US were feeling that by criticising Trump abroad, he was attacking the “sanctity of the office.” Newsom had a ready answer to this question, which, in my opinion, was perfect. He said, “We’re talking about the sanctity of the office, the president of the United States who tweets out a racist video of the former president of the United States. The sanctity of the office.” Newsom didn’t stop here, he continued, saying, “A guy who is the most corrupt president in American history, graft and grift that’s going on around the world. Has made billions of dollars in the first year back in presidency, unlike anything we have seen in modern American history. Talk about the Dignity of the office.”

Unfortunately, none of what he said is untrue.

About the racist video Gavin Newsom is talking about

Donald Trump exhibiting problematic behaviour has been so common that it has now become normalised. However, on February 5, 2026, when he posted an AI-generated video claiming voter fraud in the 2020 elections, many people, including Republicans, protested. Why? Firstly, the allegations made in the video are part of a conspiracy theory that Trump and other members of the Republican Party have been responsible for spreading. Second, towards the end of the video, Barack Obama and Michelle Obama were featured as apes, highlighting racist undertones in their depiction.

After Trump received backlash from several people, the video was taken down. However, speaking to the press just a few days later, he showed no remorse for his actions. On February 6, 2026, while speaking to reporters when asked if he would apologise for the video, Trump said, “I didn’t make a mistake,” and stressed that he had only seen the first half of the video.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Author
Image of Sanchari Ghosh
Sanchari Ghosh
Sanchari Ghosh is a political writer for The Mary Sue who enjoys keeping up with what's going on in the world and sometimes reminding everyone what they should be talking about. She's been around for a few years, but still gets excited whenever she disentangles a complicated story. When she's not writing, she's likely sleeping, eating, daydreaming, or just hanging out with friends. Politics is her passion, but so is an amazing nap.

Filed Under:

Follow The Mary Sue: