If you’re reading this posting, you probably already read Geekosystem, so that’s a good thing.
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate is a current college student or recent graduate looking for hands-on writing experience at a news startup.
Here are the two biggest things we’re looking for in applicants:
• The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction, then this is the internship for you.
• The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you yourself think up/discover on the interwebs.
Bonus points if you have the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of blogging software.
• Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in geekdom and the tech world.
• Experience with photo-editing software.
Our interns spend most of their time writing, and most definitely receive bylines for all of their stories.
How to apply
Please attach THREE (3) documents to your application email. Applications not containing all of these documents will NOT be considered:
• A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of FORTRAN or a Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking)
• Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
• A brief (1-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for a geek culture blog. Please also list in your cover letter your earliest memory of using a personal computer; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting!
Address applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The process is rolling, so apply ASAP!
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com