The Mary Sue Is Hiring an Assistant Editor!
The Mary Sue is searching for an assistant editor to join our team! We’re looking for a journalist/blogger who gets what we do and has significant knowledge of, and passion for, fandom, feminism, pop culture, politics, movies, TV, comic books, technology, weird internet memes, and more! You should especially be plugged into the 24/7 news cycle. Do you have fifteen notifications pop onto your phone from a variety of sources whenever a story breaks? We want to hear from you.
You’ll be tasked with helping to determine which stories we should cover, culling news from around the web and putting your personal take on it, and coming up with new original content. We particularly want to hear from candidates who are comfortable with breaking news; writing fast, incisive takes; working independently; and who have an instinctive barometer for what’s newsworthy.
If you love being the first to inform the public and get your opinion heard—and have valuable insights to share with the world—you’ve come to the right place!
What’s the job like?
- Entry level.
- Full-time, Monday through Friday.
- Pitching new story ideas throughout each day, and writing writing writing! The Assistant Editor is a writing-intensive position, posting several articles per day, including everything from news to think pieces and more. You must have clean copy and an eye for editing.
- You’ll also edit other writers’ posts from time to time.
- And promote your posts on social media.
- You’ll also participate in moderating our wonderful commenting community, in order to keep it that way.
What are we looking for in a prospective team member?
- Familiarity with WordPress/blogging platforms and social media channels. (Mostly Facebook and Twitter, but Tumblr, TikTok, Instagram, and more are great, too!)
- Someone who’s proud to be called a geek and a feminist.
- A strong social media footprint and/or presence in online fandom and communities.
- A multi-tasker who can consume a large amount of information in a short time.
- The ability to write quickly and accurately.
- Preferably someone who can work in our office in Midtown NYC when the COVID-19 pandemic is behind us.
What do we want in your application sent to [email protected]?
- The subject line of your email must read: “TMS Assistant Editor 2021.”
- A brief cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your resume/CV (as an attachment) or LinkedIn profile (choose one).
- At least two links to samples of your writing, preferably including at least one news-related piece and one personal or “opinion” piece.
- Links to your personal website/portfolio/blog, podcasts/videos, and/or any public social media accounts you would like to share.
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]