Lin-Manuel Miranda Finally Releasing Hamilton Mixtape After Slight Detour Through Epic Broadway Musical Success
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) November 3, 2016
People love Hamilton. Even people who’ve never been to a Broadway show before love Hamilton. Some of those people are even famous musicians, and they get to live the dream we all wish we could by getting to perform their own versions of songs from the hit show and releasing them to the masses. Enter the The Hamilton Mixtape.
You may be confused by what Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda means in the above tweet when he says that he’s “been working on a mixtape for years.” Well, back in 2009, when Hamilton was literally just one song, Miranda was invited to perform at the White House—originally to do music from his other Tony-winning musical, In the Heights—and brought with him the first song of a mixtape he was working on (actually, he called it a “concept album”) about Alexander Hamilton.
Now, if you watched the Hamilton’s America documentary on PBS, (and if you haven’t, you should) you know that he wrote this one song in 2009, another song a year later, then finally took the time to create the musical that we all know and love today. But I guess those mixtape dreams never really went away (what? Tonys and working with The Roots on producing the cast recording wasn’t enough for you?!), because The Hamilton Mixtape is available for pre-sale starting tomorrow, and this album features EVERYONE.
As reported by Playbill, here’s the full track list:
1. “No John Trumbull” (Intro) – The Roots
2. “My Shot” (feat. Busta Rhymes, Joell Ortiz & Nate Ruess) [Rise Up Remix] – The Roots
3. “Wrote My Way Out” – Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda & Aloe Blacc
4. “Wait For It” – Usher
5. “An Open Letter” (feat. Shockwave) [Interlude] – Watsky
6. “Satisfied” (feat. Miguel & Queen Latifah) – Sia
7. “Dear Theodosia” (feat. Ben Folds) – Regina Spektor
8. “Valley Forge” (Demo) – Lin-Manuel Miranda
9. “It’s Quiet Uptown” – Kelly Clarkson
10. “That Would Be Enough” – Alicia Keys
11. “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)” – K’naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente
12. “You’ll Be Back” – Jimmy Fallon & The Roots
13. “Helpless” (feat. Ja Rule) – Ashanti
14. “Take A Break” (Interlude) – !llmind
15. “Say Yes To This” – Jill Scott
16. “Congratulations” – Dessa
17. “Burn” – Andra Day
18. “Stay Alive” (Interlude) – J.PERIOD & Stro Elliot
19. “Slavery Battle” (Demo) – Lin-Manuel Miranda
20. “Washingtons By Your Side” – Wiz Khalifa
21. “History Has Its Eyes On You” – John Legend
22. “Who Tells Your Story” (feat. Common & Ingrid Michaelson) – The Roots
23. “Dear Theodosia” (Reprise) – Chance The Rapper & Francis and The Lights
It seems to not only include songs from the show, but a couple of demo tracks, songs that were cut from the musical, and what look like different takes on existing songs. “Say Yes to This” as performed by Jill Scott? A track called “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)?” Sign me up.
You can pre-order The Hamilton Mixtape starting tomorrow, and it officially goes on sale December 2nd.
I guess I know what everyone and their mom is getting for the holidays this year…
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—