Because teenagerdom is a mess, but some people handle it better than others.
While You Were Sleeping: Gabrielle Douglas Makes History With Gymnastic All-Around Gold
by Kellie Foxx-Gonzalez | 11:49 am, August 3rd, 2012
American gymnast Gabrielle Douglas clinched the women’s individual all-around gold, becoming the first African-American Olympic all-around champion. (via ABC News.)
- Helen Glover and her partner Heather Stanning won Team Great Britain’s first gold on Wednesday in Women’s Rowing Pairs. Unfortunately, folks in Glover’s hometown of Penzance have been unable to buy special stamps issued in her honour due to a shortage. Austrian teams Kate Hornsey and Sarah Tait, and Juliette Haigh and Rebecca Scown, came in 2nd and 3rd place respectively. (via BBC News.)
- Team Ukraine won gold in the women’s quadruple sculls. Germany picked up silver, and the United States picked up bronze. (via SB Nation.)
- South Korea’s Jiyeon Kim claimed the gold during the women’s individual sabre event. Russia’s Sofya Velikaya placed in 2nd, and Ukraine’s Olga Kharlan placed in 3rd. (via The Ledger Independent.)
- South Korea’s Jangmi Kim won the country’s first medal ever during the women’s 25m pistol event. China’s Ying Chen came in 2nd, and Ukraine’s Olena Kostevych came in 3rd. (via SB Nation.)
- The United States clinched the gold during the women’s 4x200m freestyle relay, with Australia and France trailing in 2nd and 3rd place. (via CBS.)
- Liuyang Jiao picked up the gold for China during the women’s 200m butterfly, setting a new Olympic record. Spain’s Mireia Belmonte Garcia finished 1.19 seconds behind her, and Japan’s Natsumi Hoshi followed for the bronze. (via CBS.)
- China dominated women’s table tennis singles, with Xiaoxia Li and Ning Ding taking gold and silver. Feng Tianwei, of Singapore, clinched the bronze. (via Yahoo.)
- Jong Sim of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea won gold in the 69kg division of women’s weightlifting.Roxana Daniela Cocos of Romania picked up the silver medal, while Maryna Shkermankova of Belarus picked up bronze. (via ESPN.)
- Emille Fer of France claimed the gold in the women’s kayak (K1) event. Australia’s Jessica Fox clinched the silver medal, and Spain’s Maialen Chourraut won bronze. (The Washington Post.)
- South Korea’s Bo Bae Ki claimed the gold in the women’s individual archery shoot-off. Mexico’s Aida Roman and Mariana Avitia came in 2nd and 3rd respectively. (via The Washington Post.)
- Team Germany edged out team China for the gold during the women’s cycling team sprint due to a “lane change during the finals” sparking discussion about Olympic cycling’s rules. Australia placed in 3rd. (via The Huffington Post.)
- Team Italy claimed a gold medal during the women’s team foil event. Russia picked up silver, and South Korea picked up bronze. (via ESPN.)
- America’s Kayla Harrison won gold during the women’s -78kg judo event. Gemma Gibbons of Great Britain picked up silver, and Brazil’s Mayra Aguiar and France’s Audrey Tcheumeo both won bronze. (via The New York Times.)
- The United States retained the women’s eight rowing title, with Canada picking up silver, and Netherlands picking up bronze. (via Boston Globe.)
- American Rebecca Soni set a world record during the women’s 200m breaststroke. Satomi Suzuki of Japan placed in 2nd, and Iulilia Efimova of Russia placed in 3rd. (via The Detroit Free Press.)
- Dutch swimmer Ranomi Kromowidjojo claimed the gold in the women’s 100m freestyle. Belarus’ Aliaksandra Herasimenia picked up silver, and China’s Yi Tang picked up bronze. (via ESPN.)
- American Kristen Armstrong placed first in the women’s individual cycling time trial, followed by Germany’s Judith Ardnt and Russia’s Olga Zabelinskaya. (via The Kansas City Star.)
- France’s Lucie Decosse placed in 1st during the women’s -70kg judo event. Germany’s Kerstin Thiele placed in 2nd, and Colombia’s Yuri Alvear and Netherlands’ Edith Bosch both placed in 3rd. (via ESPN.)
- 8 Goofiest Things From The Olympics Opening Ceremony
- Olympic Gymnast Jennifer Pinches Flashes The Nerdfighter Sign
- Day 1 and 2 Olympic News Round-Up
- Game of Thrones Giving It All Away?
- Is a New Girl Coming to The New Girl?
- 10 Hair-Raising Facts Learned From 'Tangled'
- 5 Actors Who Play the Same Role in Every Movie