Because teenagerdom is a mess, but some people handle it better than others.
10 Female Characters We Love, Even Though They’re Barely Geeky In Any Way
by Jamie Frevele and Alanna Bennett | 12:34 pm, August 9th, 2011
Allow Us to Explain
While we like to spend the bulk of our time at The Mary Sue celebrating the characters and stories of geek fandom, every once in a while, other characters sneak in. And they aren’t geeky. In fact, some of them are downright mainstream. But since we are a geek site, we don’t really have any cause to write about these characters aside from the occasional mention if the topic calls for it. But today, allow us to indulge in a few mainstream guilty pleasures.
The protocol for this list was the following, and many contenders did not make the cut. (Sorry, Monica Geller.)
1. They had to be female.
2. They could not be geeks.
3. The medium in which they appeared could not be overtly geeky. This was our biggest point of contention, because a show or movie in which geeky things happen (e.g. Fox’s Bones) could be very mainstream and a show/movie in which no geeky things happen (e.g. Fargo) might be the slightest bit geeky. (As in “indie film geeky.”) However, the characters included on this list are not, themselves, geeky.
There also had to be a solid reason to like them. Whether it’s sheer dedication to their jobs, learning from their own mistakes, questioning authority, or being unabashedly headstrong, there was something about the following characters that made us adore them. We can relate to them, we know where they’re coming from. They just don’t come from — or travel to — the most fantastical of places. But if loving the Gilmore Girls is wrong, then we don’t wanna be right.
- Twilight & 11 Other Worst Movies Ever
- 5 Greatest Kisses in Sci-Fi Movies
- Game of Thrones Giving It All Away?
- 10 Shows We Really Want to Come Back